Visa application procedures

Anyone who wants to study abroad must obtain a student visa from a Korean Embassy or Consulate in their country of residence. This can be obtained only after preparing all the required documents to enter Korea, including an admission letter. The type of visa required differs according to what kind of course (Korean language training, regular degree, research, or exchange student) will be taken.Foreign students who will plan on enrolling in non-degree seeking programs (such as Korean language study or other foreign language study) will need to obtain a D-4 visa. For a student visa, applicants (seeking a degree higher than a professional school, research course, or exchange student course will require a D-2 visa) and those studying Korean language at a university language school will need a D-4 Visa (For more information on student visas, please visit the Korea Immigration Service website:

(1) Certificate for Confirmation of Visa Issuance
What is certificate for recognition of visa issuance?
Upon request for visa issuance approval by a foreign visa applicant or a Korean national trying to invite a foreigner, the Minister of Justice or the head of the Immigration Office (or the head of the local branch in case of Sejongno/Ulsan/Donghae branch) can do a preliminary inspection on the subject. Should they deem it necessary after the inspection, they may issue a certificate of visa issuance approval (or visa issuance approval number) prior to the actual visa issuance by the head of the overseas consulate.Procedure
· A foreigner who intends to enter Korea or a Korean trying to invite a foreigner can apply for a certificate of visa issuance approval to the competent Immigration Office (or its branch office in case of Sejongno/Ulsan/Donghae Branch) along with the required documents for visa issuance.
· Send the certificate of visa issuance approval (or visa issuance approval no.) to the person intending to enter Korea
· Upon receiving the certificate of visa issuance approval (or visa issuance approval no.), the person can obtain a Korean visa by presenting it to the Korean consulate.

※ The certificate of visa issuance approval is valid for 3 months and can only be used for a single visa issuance only.
Eligible subjects of visa issuance approval
– Nationals of countries that lack diplomatic relationship with Korea or otherwise specially designated countries (Cuba, Syria, Kosovo, Macedonia)※ Those not eligible for visa issuance approval
· Those with Diplomat (A-1), Foreign Government Official (A-2), International Agreement (A-3), Visa Exempted (B-1), Tourist/Transit (B-2), Resident (F-2), Overseas Korean (F-4), Permanent Resident (F-5), Marriage Migrant (F-6), Working Holiday (H-1).

(2) Student visa (D-2)
• Eligible Applicants
· Study and research at educational. academic institutions (community college or higher)
– A person who wants to study, research or enroll in a full-time program (i.e. Bachelor’s, Master, Ph.D.) at academic
institutions (community college or higher) established under either the Higher Education Act or the Special Act.
• Maximum length of stay
Up to 2 years
• Application Centre
By principle, you must apply at a Korean diplomatic mission in your country or in a country where your last school is located.
• Required documents:
① Visa application form (form #17), copy of passport, 1 passport photo (taken within the last six months)
② Photocopy of Business Registration Certificate (or distinct number certificate) of a respective education institution
③ Standard Acceptance Letter (issued by the dean/president of the university)
④ Documents proving your family relations (Only when your parent’s certificate of balance is submitted.)
⑤ Documents for proving your highest level of education
– As a rule, students should submit original copies of all documents for proving your highest level of education. However, a copy of your diploma or other proof of degree can be accepted if a relevant school authority signs the document verifying its authenticity. When submitting a proof of degree document obtained by an individual directly from an institution, only documents which are not past their validity period will be recognized. This period of validity is usually 30 days, but extensions are possible.
– Citizens of the following 21 counties, as well as students who have received degrees from universities in foreign student critical management countries, must choose one option from A, B, or C when submitting proof of highest level of education. (For China, only C is available)
• Above mentioned 21 countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Nepal, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Mongolia, Sri Lanka, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Iran, Egypt, India, Indonesia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Thailand, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines
• Foreign student critical management countries: Guinea, Mali, Ethiopia, Uganda, Cameroon
A) An apostilled copy of diploma
B) A copy of diploma verified by a Korean consulate in the country of the university that issued diploma, or a copy of diploma verified by your country’s diplomatic mission in Korea
C) For China, an authorized document such as a diploma issued by a degree/diploma certification center run by the Chinese Ministry of Education (limited to individuals who received a degree in China)
※ Graduates of technical high schools which do not issue certified documents such as diplomas must submit one of the following:
i) Certification of graduation issued by the school (must be verified by provincial-level office of education and Korean diplomatic mission in China), or
ii) A certificate of graduation issued by provincial-level office of education (must be verified by Korean diplomatic mission in China)
※ In the case of individuals who received a diploma from a South Korean university, diplomas which have not received official verification will be accepted
– For individuals not from the above mentioned 21 countries, in cases of suspected forgery, documentation corresponding to A~C (specified above) may be demanded at the discretion of the director of the immigration office (or local branch director).
⑥ Proof of financial ability
– Sufficient funds to support yourself for one year of tuition and living expenses21 States
China, Philippines, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Mongolia, Thailand, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Iran, Uzbekistan,
Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine, Nigeria, Ghana, Egypt, Peru (Total: 21 states)

* Please indicate your English name on the Korean version and enclose a photocopy of your passport.
Examples of Family Relations Certificates
China: Family Relations Registry or notarized document proving family relations, Philippines: Family Census, Indonesia: Certificate of family relations (KARTU KELUARGA), Bangladesh: 점머 까꺼즈 or 점마 싸이드티켓, Vietnam: 호적부 (So Ho Khau) or Birth Certificate (Giay khai sinh), Mongolia: Certificate of Family Relations, Pakistan: Family Certificate, Sri Lanka: 빠울러 Certificate, Myanmar: Family Relations Certificate (잉타웅수사옌), Nepal: 전마달다, Kyrgyzstan/ Kazakhstan/ Uzbekistan/ Ukraine/ Thailand: Birth Certificate
For a comfortable stay in Korea during the study period, we recommend considering the cost for transportation, study materials, dorm fees and miscellaneous expenses.
Documents for each program Required documents
Associate degree. Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree. Ph.D. ⑤ Documents proving the final level of education
⑥ Documents proving your financial ability to support yourself (tuition and living expenses for a year)
Specific Research Program ⑤ Documents proving your highest level of education (must hold a master’s degree or higher)
⑥ Proof of financial ability (i.e. bank statement, verification of research allowance)
⑦ Documents proving specific research program (i.e. certification of research student status issued by university president)
Exchange Student ⑤ Exempted from submitting documents proving your highest level of education (however, individuals must submit proof of language ability)
⑥ Proof of financial ability (on the assumption that tuition is paid in country of origin)
⑦ Letter of recommendation from the dean of the university you attend in your home country
⑧ Document proving your status as foreign exchange student (i.e. official invitation letter from university or agreement of student exchange between universities)
⑨ Document verifying you have completed at least one semester at your home university (i.e. proof of enrollment issued by home university)
Entrusted Foreign Solider Trainee Invited by Ministry of National Defense ④ Proof of family relations – exempt
⑤ Proof of your highest level of education – exempt
⑥ Proof of financial ability – exempt
⑦ Letter of invitation issued by the Ministry of National Defense
※ Additional required documents can be demanded on a case by case basis
※ The Chief of mission may ask additional documents in order to examine the purpose of stay, genuineness of invitation, and qualifications of the inviter and invitee if deemed necessary.
(3) General Trainee (D-4)
• Range of Activities
· You are eligible to apply if you research, study or train at an educational organization, academic research center,
private enterprise and other groups that do not fall under D-2 categories. For example, you are
– A person learning Korean at a university-affiliated language center
– A person studying at an educational organization or an academic research center that does not fall under D-2 categories
– A person practicing skills/techniques at a public/private research institute or training center
– A person who is on-the-job training, researching, or is an intern at a foreign investment company or foreigner-invested company.
• Limit on period of Sojourn:2 years (for Korean language trainees the maximum is 6 months)
• Where to apply
– Applicants should apply at a Korean diplomatic mission in their country of residence, or a Korean diplomatic mission in the country where they attained their highest level of education
• Required documents:
※ Here is the requried documents for Language Trainee (D-4-1).
① An application for a visa issuance confirmation (form no. 21), a copy of passport, one standard size photograph, fees
② A copy of business registration of the education institute or a photocopy of distinct number card
③ Standardized acceptance letter* (issued by the President/Dean of university)
* You can replace the letter with FIMS information confirmation, or if you are a scholarship student invited by the National Institute for
International Education, you can substitute the invitation card issued by the head of the Institute for the letter.
④ Certificate of enrollment or proof of one’s highest level of educational attainment
– As a rule, individuals must submit original copies of all documents. When necessary, a copy signed by a relevant school authority may be attached instead.
⑤ Proof of financial ability (equivalent of US$10,000)
※ As a rule, individuals should submit original documents for proving financial ability (bank statement, bank book, proof of scholarship, history of bank account transactions). When necessary, a copy signed the relevant authority may be attached instead (only bank statements issued in the last 30 days will be considered valid).
※ Individuals planning to attend a language learning course at a regular university as specified by the International Education Quality Assurance System must submit proof of ability to pay study abroad expenses (a letter of guarantee issued after purchasing a financial product from a commercial bank legally established in Korea and Vietnam)
※ When submitting your parent’s bank statement, proof of family relations must also be submitted.
– The evaluative standard for proof of financial ability is the cost of tuition and living expenses for one year (or six months in the case of language study).
※ For more detailed information, please refer to;
– Hi Korea (
※ Source: Korea Immigration Service

Author: CeylonJobs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *